Segel Is New HSA Head, Will Take Office July 1

By Samuel Z. Goldhaber

The Board of Directors of Harvard Student Agencies met yesterday and elected Arthur I. Segel '73 of Dunster House and Brookline as the new president of HSA.

The Board also discussed a draft report of the Commission of Inquiry, which investigated HSA, and a series of Crimson exposes on HSA. Both the Commission and the Crimson had recommended that HSA write annual reports to the Harvard community.

Chase N. Peterson '52, dean of Admissions and Scholarships and a member of the Board, said that the Board decided "the idea of a public annual report was a good one" and that annual reports will probably be written.

Michael L. Ryan '72, outgoing president of HSA, recommended to the Board that HSA issue annual reports to the Harvard community similar to the one issued this spring. The previous public report on HSA had been issued in 1967.

Segel, whose term begins on June 1, said. "There are going to be a lot of changes, if not from me then from other people."

"What we need at this point is to gain perspective." Segel said. "There have been questions as to whether HSA should continue, whether it has the right to continue, and whether it jeopardizes Harvard's interests. We need to decide for ourselves whether HSA should last."

Segel said that HSA needs to be concerned about its image. As an example of image-building. Segel said HSA might start a coffeehouse similar to Peoples Switchboard's. "HSA has to start orienting itself in that direction," he added.

Regarding the Charter Flights division, which recently cancelled five of its seven summer flights to Europe. Segal said, "We've been overly dependent on charter flights. We'll start expanding domestic trips and trips to Bermuda and the Islands. I still think Charter Flights has a future, but maybe on a smaller scale."