Lowell Wins Baseball Title

By David W. Niemiec

A hard-hitting Lowell House baseball team defeated Winthrop House on Friday in the final game of the House Baseball Championships.

The Lowell House nine was led to its 6-4 victory by the consistent hitting of Vietnam veteran Andrew T. Kincaid 71-6 and the pitching of former little leaguer Ralph "Skip" Marotta '72.

Army Softball

In the third inning Kincaid hit a high, outside pitch to drive in Lowell's fifth and ultimately game-winning run. When asked how it felt to drive in the championship-winning run, Kincaid modestly insisted that the accomplishment was due to the fine training he had received while playing in the U.S. Army Recreational Softball League.

Marotta received the game ball autographed by his teammates in recognition of his inspirational three-hit pitching. Marotta declined comment on the nine walks he allowed.

Lowell's centerfielder, Mark N. Thorsrud '72, made the most spectacular defensive play of the game. Early in the game Thorsrud caught a potential home-run ball and then made the 275-foot throw to third base for the double play.

Even in the face of Lowell's outstanding defensive play, the Winthrop's team did not give up. Winthrop came back with two runs in the fourth among and two in the fifth. After allowing Winthrop's fourth run to score on a wild pitch. Lowell settled down to retire the side and insure the victory.

As emotions ran high near the end of the game, the base umpire ejected Lowell catcher Philip D. Carey 72 during a vociferous dispute over a questionable call. The base umpire is a president of Winthrop House.

Lowell's triumph marked that House's first athletic championship of the year.