Carr to Coach JV Stickmen

Former Harvard hockey star Bobby Carr has been named to succeed Jim Hutchinson as junior varsity hockey coach for next season. Hutchinson, who coached at Harvard for 17 years, retired last season after running up a 193-99-7 record.

Carr, 25, was a three-year regular for the Crimson varsity from 1965-1968, starring on defense after an outstanding high school career at Arlington High.

During his Harvard hockey career, Carr was the hockey team's dependable defenseman. He set a scoring record for defensemen with 28 points (eight goals, and 20 assists) in 1967-1968. The mark stood up until 1970 when Chris Gurry broke it by a point.

As a junior, Carr was named most improved hockey player for the Crimson, and in his senior year was named most valuable. He was a two-time All-Ivy performer, and in his senior year also won All-East recognition.

For the last four years Carr has been a teacher and coach at Arlington High, where he returned after graduating from Harvard. Carr held the assistant hockey coach position, while also coaching freshman hockey and serving as an assistant football coach.

Arlington is one of the strongest high school hockey areas in Massachusetts. Looking down the rosters of Boston area colleges, one is immediately taken by the large number of Arlington alumni playing for local college teams. Carr will have little trouble adjusting to the type of coaching that Harvard demands. At Arlington, besides having been well schooled in the Harvard hockey tradition, he has tutored both goalie Joe Bertagna and defenseman Mark Noonan. Bertagna and Noonan bulwarked last year's Crimson squad that reached the semi-finals in the ECAC's.

Carr will leave Arlington High next year to enter the insurance field and coach the Crimson JV's.