Bok Appoints Dunlop, Ebert, Hiatt To Inter-School Cancer Committee

President Bok has announced the formation of an interfaculty committee to coordinate a University wide study on cancer.

The President's Committee on Cancer is charged with promoting exchange of information on current cancer activities, encouraging cooperation in patient care, research and teaching, coordinating interfaculty teaching and research programs, and stimulating the development and funding of interfaculty programs.

Members of the committee are Bok, Dean Dunlop, Robert H. Ebert, dean of the Medical School and Howard H. Hiatt, dean of the School of Public Health.

Bok said Monday that he and the other members of the Committee should be able to "perceive the gaps, and subsequently the opportunities for collaboration among the faculties and mutual implementation of their goals."

He added the hope that the new cooperation would lead to a "more rational seeking of funds."

The Committee is the result of a University-wide meeting in June to discuss multi-disciplinary approaches to the study of cancer.

Each of the three faculties whose deans are represented will organize its own subcommittee.

The subcommittee of the Medical School will attempt to facilitate the teaching of oncology to medical students and postgraduate trainees, and to improve communications between clinicians and researchers.

The subcommittee of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences will concern itself with basic research and the training of Ph. D candidates.

The subcommittee of the School of Public Health will promote teaching and research programs directed at cancer prevention.

The Committee Monday named nine cancer specialists -- including researchers and hospital administrators -- to a University wide technical subcommittee. The specialists will advise Committee members on the implementation of its goals