Crimson Six Faces Dartmouth Tonight

Harvard Still First In East

By William E. Stedman jr.

Despite a disappointing 5-2 loss to Cornell last Saturday night, Harvard's varsity hockey squad is still number one in the East, and the players are optimistic about continuing their domination when they take on Dartmouth tonight at 7:30 in Hanover.

"The kids are in an excellent frame of mind," coach Bill Cleary said yesterday. "They're very philosophical about the Cornell game. It was just one of those nights, the puck didn't bounce the right way. Sometimes I thought it was square instead of round."

The unlucky Crimson put in a solid effort against the Big Red, but Cornell's rough checking and they play of goalie Dave Elenbaas, who was named Ivy League player of the week, helped limit Harvard to just two goals. "I thought we outplayed them most of the game." Cleary said, "But they managed to capitalize on all of our mistakes."

Leaking to Repeat

Dartmouth 6.3 on the season, will be looking to play the same sort of game Cornell did Saturday, and repeat they hope, last year's 4-3 victors in which goalie Peter Prouix like Elenbaas, started in the nets and was chosen Ivy player of the week for his efforts.

Prouix will be back in goal tonight for the Big Green. During the course of the season, he has allowed 34 goals in nine games for a 3.77 goals against average. This is just under his 3.95 average of last year, when he was selected as the All-Ivy first team goaltender.

Helping out in defense will be Dartmouth's captain Dana Johnson and junior Paul Dixon, the Big Green's top pairing. Jim Edgeworth, the team's second leading scorer with 13 points, and Jake Johnston will also be back on defense.

Balanced Offense

On offense Dartmouth is fairly well balanced, getting goals from all three lines. The line of Bill Berry, Fred Riggall and Bob Hayes leads the team in scoring with 38 points. Riggall is the top point-getter on the squad with 8 goals and 8 assists.

"They're always taught up there," Cleary said, "and the smaller rink is harder to play in. But the boys are really for them."

Harvard for the fourth game will be without the services of defenseman Doug Elliott, who is still missing from the time up with an ankle injury. Dave Hands and Levy Byrd will again be used in his place. Cleary does not expect Elliott to return to action until after the exam break.

Slight Concussion

Also on the injured list is center Jim McMahon, who plays on the fourth line with Dave Gauthier and Steve Dagdigian, McMahon suffered a slight concession in a collision with a Cornell player Saturday. Cleary has not decided yet whom he will use in McMahon's place.

Dartmouth's three losses this season came at the hands of Boston University, Clarkson and a surprising Yale squad, all by scores of 6-2. This year the Big Green is off to one of its best starts ever, but Cleary is not at all impressed with early season records. "When the puck is dropped," he said, "it's a whole other story."