ACSR Election Panel Meets, will Pick Delegates Thursday

By Seth M. Kupferberg

The panel to pick the two undergraduate representatives to the Advisory Committee on Shareholder responsibility (ACSR) met yesterday for the first time but put off electing the representatives until Thursday.

Though the selection panel was to include two elected members from each House, almost half its full membership missed yesterday's meeting.

Dunster House has not yet picked its representatives and South House voted last month not to participate, objecting to the ACSR's lack of definite powers and to the indirect election of its members.

At yesterday's meeting the group decided that it would elect the two ACSR members by three ballots, including two runoffs to insure that those chosen have a majority. The group rejected other methods such as drawing lots.

Under a plan submitted by the committee on Housing and undergraduate Life for choosing the ACSR representatives, the representatives must come from the panel of electors.

The panel will also decide Thursday whether to keep meeting after it elects the ACSR representatives.

Jeremy S. Bluhm '73, a Mater House delegate, will propose that the panel reserve the right to make binding recommendation to the undergraduate representatives, he said yesterday.

President Bok asked for the creation of the ACSR in October to advise the five man Corporation subcommittee he appointed on questions involving Harvard's social responsibilities as an investor.

Besides the two undergraduates, the committee will include three graduate students, five Faculty members and five alumni. It will meet for the first time next Tuesday.