HARVARD Six Threat Czech Rallies to Tie, 4-4

Bertogna Stars in Nets

By William E. Stedman jr

Harvard, playing without a doubt the best team it will face all season, come up with a great effort to tie Dukia Jihlava, the Czechoslovakian army team, 4-4 Dukia, the best club in the world, had to come back from deficits of 3-1 and 4-3 to gain the deadlock with the crimson.

Crimson net minder Joe Bertagna had to rate the first star of the game, as he came up with 30 saves, most of them real testers, Bertagna made 13 saves in the opening period to keep Harvard in the game.

Jereslay Holik

Dukla jumped out to a quick led after only 58 seconds had expired in the first period. Harvard was a man down, with Mark Noonan whistled into the box after just 13 seconds, as Czech enter Jaroslav Holik blasted a slap shot past Bertagna.

The Crimson were nervous in the opening minutes, but they came back to the game when Bob Goodenow grabbed the puck in front of the Czech net and put it past Dukla`s goalie Miroslav Krase at 2:15.

Larry Detmond capped the first period scoring at 19:19 to give the Crimson a slim one goal lead, Harry Reynolds broke in over the Czech blue lines, but was tripped by a Dukla defender, Reynolds managed to push ahead to Darmond who put the puck away.

The surprising first period lead gave the Crimson a big boost, although the Czech outplayed them in the opening stanza. Randy Roth took advantage of Harvard second power play opportunity at 10:28 of the second, poking the puck home in a scramble in the Czech goalmouth.

Bertagna continued to come up with some big saves, but the well conditioned Czech fought back to tie the game at three.

Peter Adamlk served at 13;12 an a sloppier that Bertagna juggled, but couldn't quite held stop. At 13;39, Milen Navy was left unguarded at the side of the net and tech the pass from Jan Hrbaty for the tying goal.

Invisible Slap

With only two seconds remaining in the period, Bob Goodenow noticed his second of the night on a slap shot that Krasa didn't see until it was in the net.

Dukia got the final score of the night at 12:21 of the third period when Josef Augusta grabbed a rebound in front of Bertagna and shot it in the tie.