All-Ivy Booter Papagianis Makes All-America Team

By Charles B.straus

Senior forward Chris Papagianis last week became the first Harvard soccer player in recent history to be selected as a first-team All-America. The two-time All-Ivy performer, who has been showered with recent honors, was the only Ivy player so mentioned.

The announcement culminated a brilliant Harvard soccer career for the superlative Crimson star. During this time he saw his team go to the national finals once and reach the quarter finals in his two other varsity seasons. He also grabbed the Ivy record for points (21) and goals (13), and was earlier named to the All-New England All-Star team.

"It's a great honor, I'm really happy," Papagianis said yesterday. "I was kind of amazed I made it."

Delighted

But for the fans of Harvard soccer the award came as no surprise. Bruce Munro, now in his 25th season as Harvard's coach, was "absolutely delighted." "I think it was a well-deserved honor," he added.

The Christmas vacation also saw Papagianis play, along with 1972 Harvard captain Rick Scott, in the East-West All-Star game in Orlando, Florida. Papagianis was selected captain of the East squad which won, 2-0. "It was perhaps the best game I've ever played in," he said.

The vacation was, however, a good news-bad news situation for Papagianis. Two days after learning of his All-America selection he underwent an operation in Cambridge City Hospital to remove a cyst on the base of his spine. The All-American thing kind of makes the operation worthwhile though," he said.