B.C. Cagers Overcome Lead To Defeat Harvard Freshmen

Boston College's basketball teams are almost always tough, and last night their sub-varsity team proved to be no exception. Harvard's freshmen squad was not able to cope with the offensively potent Eagles, and they lost 64-53.

"We played reasonably well." Crimson Coach John Harvey said. "Our defense was pretty solid, and we did a good job in keeping their score down. They had 100 points in their last game."

Harvard fell behind at the start and did not move ahead until the second half B.C. built up an 18-11 lead, and then coasted to a 24-21 margin at the half.

The Eagles came out of the locker room lethargically in the second half, and the Crimson, sparked by Mufi Hannemen and Bill Carey, promptly took advantage. In the first three minutes of the half, the two players combined for 13 points, and Harvard grabbed an eight-point lead.

Let-Down

"B.C. let down," was Harvey's explanation for the Harvard surge. He added that he wasn't surprised at the speed with which the Eagles caught up.

By the ten-minute mark of the half, B.C. had grabbed a two-point lead, as they outscored Harvard 10-4 over this key seven-minute stretch. From this point on the Eagles built up their lead, and glided to victory.

"We played poorly, and the team wasn't really up for the game." Eagle coach Frank Power said. "We were looking forward to the Beanpot, and there was never really much of an offensive tempo in the game," he added.

High scoring honors in the game went to B.C.'s Mitch Bunagoic. Mufi Hannemen was Harvard's high scorer with 18 points.

"Scott Lewis was our best player in the game," Harvey said. Lewis had 11 points and nine rebounds, eight of them under the defensive boards.

The Crimson freshmen are now 42 against sub-varsity competition. Their first all-freshmen opponent will be Dartmouth.