Copy Center Begins Work

Harvard's new non-profit copying center will start operating at full capacity at the end of next week after a month of difficulties with electrical installation.

The Central Copying Service (CCS), which officially opened January 2, will save the University up to $250,000 annually. Harvard now spends over $1.1 million a year on copying services.

For while-you-wait service the CCS charges four cents for the first copy and two cents for subsequent copies. "Try and find prices like that in the Square," Robert Collins, manager of the CCS, said yesterday.

Volume

Collins estimated that the CCS's volume this year will be "in the hundred thousands," and that about 70 per cent of the CCS's business will come from the University and 30 per cent from students.

Collins said that in its first week of operation the CCS only had ten customers, which may be due to its remote location, in rooms 131-133 of Memorial Hall. He said he will put up signs on all four Memorial Hall entrances to attract attention to the copying service.

An employee at Gnomon copy, 1304 Massachusetts Ave., said yesterday that Harvard now does a considerable amount of its copying at Gnomon. "The CCS will definitely take a big chunk out of out business," he said.

"I heard my boss mumbling something about how they're selling for practically nothing," the employee said. Gnomon

charges three cents a copy for while you wait service.

The CCS will be equipped with a Xerox 2400 copier and an A.B. Dick Expediter offset duplicator. The machines were supposed to be in operation December 15 but there were technicians still working on them part time yesterday.

The CCS will handle copying for all University offices at rates from 17 cents a copy for under ten copies to one cent a copy for over 70 copies University offices can also lease A.B. Dick copiers through the CCS at a net cost of 2.5 cents a copy