Group Reports on Science Education

A Science program emphasizing experiments rather than textbooks has been very successful in Massachusetts elementary schools, according to preliminary findings of a research team led by Dean K. Whitla, director of the Office of Tests.

The ten-member research team found that children in the new program sponsored by the National Science Foundation (NSF) enjoyed studying science more than they had before. The report also showed that their teachers thought the program led to greater gains in learning and more flexible teaching techniques.

"The new system is charming and delightful," Whitla said. "It invites kids to play games. They love it."

Whitla said that the new system, which uses materials like light bulbs, batteries, and animal skeletons as teaching materials, is designed to teach children "science methodology and basic principles and symbolism of science." "We're teaching more important things," he said.

Whitla said that science education has gone through several stages over the last few years-overemphasis after Russia's initial space program successes and underemphasis in the "occult-oriented" sixties. He said that he would like to see the NSF program bring about a swing back to a greater emphasis on elementary science.

The findings are the result of a one-and-a-half year study on the new program financed by an $80,000 grant from the Advisory Committee on Massachusetts Education.

About 78,000 elementary school children in Massachusetts out of a state total of about 600,000 are now using NSF curricula. Fifty-four per cent of the 116 elementary schools using the program plan to expand its use.

Four educational conferences for teachers not presently using the NSF system have been held to discuss the new program, and five more are scheduled for the spring.