A-Team Ruggers Shock B.C.; Injuries Plague Strong, Noble

The Crimson rugby A-team, showing great spirit and determination, fought back to defeat Boston College, 7-3, Saturday at Soldiers' field.

The first half was a closely fought contest with both teams fairly evenly matched. Boston managed to edge Harvard 3-0 at the interval, after scoring a penalty goal.

During the second half, the ruggers played with greater fire and were able to overcome their point deficit five minutes into the period. Good play from the backs helped second row forward David Gooch to score with an opportunist try, putting Harvard on the board, 4-3. The conversion attempt by wing forward Steve Niemi was unsuccessful.

Shoulder Injury

Shortly thereafter, Harvard lost second row forward Bill Strong to a shoulder injury and was forced to finish the game with only 14 players.

Twenty minutes from the end of the second interval, a penalty goal by Steve Neimi increased the Crimson's lead over Boston, 7-3. It was the only successful try in three attempts by Harvard.

In the closing minutes of the game, Boston College struggled unsuccessfully to score and was forced to concede the victory to the Crimson.

Led by captains Adrian Tew and Thomas McKinley, the Crimson forwards were superior in their scrums and lineouts in the first victory of the season, but were hindered by the loose rucks's lack of strength.

Intimidated

Fly half Mike Noble suffered an eye injury in a tackle during the game. Although somewhat intimidated by the greater size of the Boston players, scrum half Nissanke Weerasanger nevertheless played an excellent game.

The B-game was fought to a scoreless finish with a few narrow misses on both sides of an evenly matched game.

The rugby team will meet MIT at home next Saturday in the rugby field adjacent to the freshman football field near the bubble.