Kosygin, Sadat Meet in Cairo; Israel, Egypt Battle for Suez

Israeli and Egyptian tanks fought fiercely along the Suez Canal yesterday in what has become the biggest and perhaps the most decisive battle in the Middle East war.

While the war escalated along the Suez, Egypt's official news agency said yesterday that Soviet Premier Alexei N. Kosygin has held "three long meetings" with President Anwar Sadat of Egypt in Cairo.

Matter Of Days

British Foreign Secretary Sir Alec Douglas-Home said that he believes Kosygin is in Cairo seeking peace. Sen. Jacob Javits (R-N.Y.) predicted a cease-fire would come in a matter of days rather than weeks, but he gave no evidence to support his prediction.

Egyptian military commanders said Egyptian troops have encircled Israeli forces near the Central Bitter Lakes section of the Suez canal. They called on Israelis there to "surrender or face complete destruction."

The Tel Aviv military command, however, said its armored forces had broken Egypt's momentum by knocking out 100 Egyptian tanks and driving a wedge all the way to the eastern bank of the canal. The Israelis also reported that their commando task force on the western side of the canal had been reinforced and was attacking targets in the rear.

U.S. Defense Department spokesman William Beecher said Israeli fighter pilots have engaged North Koreans flying Soviet MIGS over Egypt. No planes were reported downed on either side.