Crimson J.V. Booters Blanked By Gordon Varsity Squad, 3-0

WENHAM--The Harvard junior varsity soccer team was shut out by a more experienced Gordon College squad here yesterday, 3-0. It was Harvard's fourth straight loss of the season.

The Harvard JV squad was outplayed by the Gordon varsity booters, who are ranked second in the Colonial League with a 6-2-1 record. Gordon's offense had 51 shots on goal; Harvard's had 14.

The Harvard defensive efforts, excepting the three Gordon goals, were much better. Goalkeeper Jim McKennan, replaced in the last ten minutes of the second half by Amor Hollingsworth, had 23 saves credited to the Crimson defense; Gordon had only six saves.

But Harvard's defensive efforts were insufficient. Gordon's Vern Larson scored the first goal of the match, ten minutes into the second half. The second goal followed eight minutes later, kicked in by Dave Evans. Bruce Wilkinson booted in the final goal of the game wihh less than four minutes left.

Harvard coach Seamus P. Malin said that his team's poor showing this year can be attributed to an increased level of competition on the teams Harvard is scheduled to play. He said that the varsity squads Harvard plays have worked together longer than his men and have a greater momentum and ease. He said his team's approach and movement of the ball downfield was good, but added, "our finish lacks fire. The desire-blind passion needed to score goals is lacking."

The future is not coming up roses. With Dave Winton out the rest of the season from a double fracture below the knee suffered in yesterday's game, Malin's team is going to need some of that "desire-blind passion."