Bok to Confer With Committee On New House Master Choice

A search committee of five Winthrop House undergraduates will soon begin to confer with President Bok on the selection of a new master of Winthrop House.

The present master, Bruce Chalmers, Gordon McKay Professor of Metallurgy, will retire at the end of this year after ten years at Winthrop House.

Establish Guidelines

The search committee was selected by the House committee last week and has met with Bok to establish the guidelines for the group.

Bok said yesterday that the committee will have three purposes: to suggest criteria for the new master, to recommend candidates for the position, and to comment on nominations made by Bok.

Although Bok said that he intends to work closely with the students on the committee and hopes to carry on "meaningful dialogue" with them, the final decision of the new mastership is made by Bok alone.

Bok said he hopes that the selection will be made by January so that the new master will be able to make his own appointments of tutors for next year.

Forbes Maner '74, chairman of the search committee, said Bok told the committee that candidates for the position will fall heavily within the Faculty of Arts and Sciences and that the appointment will be for a period of five years.

By making the mastership a five year appointment, Bok said he hopes to provide for continuity in the administration of the House.