Power Cutbacks Likely This Winter; B&G Predicts Light, Heat Reduction

By Geoffrey D. Garin

The Harvard power system may experience several brown-outs during the winter months because of energy shortages, two officials in the utility division of the Building and Grounds department said yesterday.

Leslie Thomas, director of the utility division, and Robert Stewart, energy conservation coordinator, said the unprecedented winter voltage reductions will affect lighting in offices, classroom buildings and dormitories, as well as Harvard's heating system.

"Brown-outs are very likely in the next few months," Thomas said yesterday. "We've had them before in the summer, but never during the winter."

Stewart said that if the brown-outs occurred they would be at the direction of Cambridge Power and Electric Company, which supplies Harvard with its electricity.

Using a new $2.2 million Delta 2000 computer, Buildings and Grounds will be able to distribute the impact of the brownouts so the most important facilities are the least affected, Stewart said. The computer, which was installed last year, is attached to most of the electrical systems in the University.

Stewart was appointed Harvard's energy conservation coordinator last week as part of a continuing administration effort to reduce consumption of energy in the University. His job will be to audit the use of energy by the different faculties and to file complaints when too much energy is being used or when energy is being wasted.

Energy Policy

Stephen S.J. Hall, vice president for administration, will release on Monday a new energy policy statement to the faculty. The statement calls for a reduction in the utilization of energy "to the extent of 10 to 15 per cent below current rates of consumption."

In the statement Hall cites three means by which energy can be conserved:

* Careful attention to the control of usage by such means as lowering interior temperatures and turning off lights, water, fans, heat and other energy consumers when possible, and by consolidating space usage;

* Insuring the operating efficiency of mechanical and electrical equipment and systems; and,

* The automatic monitoring of systems by the existing computer controlled system, the Delta 2000.

Thomas said yesterday that efforts are being made to comply with President Nixon's request that thermostats be lowered to 68 degrees, and added that plans are being developed to lower thermostats to 65 degrees if necessary.

"Harvard has been trying to reduce energy consumption for the past two years," Hall said. "We should have even more success now because faculty support is quicker and stronger."

Harvard has been trying to cut down on energy use to save money, Thomas said yesterday. "Since President Nixon's address, the justification will shift from money to conservation, but it's all the same animal," he added.

Hall said that he and Thomas are currently working on a checklist of mandatory controls on energy use.

Thomas emphasized that students will have to help in the conservation effort. "There's a shortage, it's real, it's here, it's now," he said in explaining the need for student cooperation.