stage

all this week, either, just the first part, which is about the Garden of Eden and includes a lot of wit, occasional profundity and something about some men seeing things that never were and saying why not--that line often used to get attributed to Robert F. Kennedy '48. Opens tonight at 7:30 at the Loeb Ex; tickets are free, as usual.

H.M.S. PINAFORE, by Sir Arthur Sullivan and Sir William Schwenk Gilbert. An outstanding production of a very funny opera. 8:30 p.m. at Agassiz.

STOP THE WORLD, I WANT TO GET OFF, by Anthony Newley. It sounds sort of pretentious, but reportedly has some fine songs, 8:30 p.m. at Quincy House.

THE TEETH OF MONS HERBERT, by Philip LaZebnick '75, sounds like another very funny show, but not quite like Gilbert and Sullivan. More like a cross between Groucho Marx and Cole Porter. I haven't seen it, however, 8:30 p.m. at Lowell House.

TWELFTH NIGHT, by William Shakespeare, is a definitive treatment of the struggle between England's declining feudal landowners and its rising Puritan middle class, not to mention a funny and beautiful comedy. It's directed by George Gopen, who taught me Expository Writing and managed to make me the only person I've ever met who thinks Expos was a valuable course. Opens tonight at Winthrop House.