Police Negotiators Reach Agreement After Long Dispute

By Efthimios O. Vidalis

The Harvard Administration and the Patrolmen's Association reached a tentative agreement in a five-month contract dispute Wednesday after a ten-hour negotiating session at the JFK Federal Building.

The session, the sixth between the two sides, was mediated by Richard X. Goggin '32, Federal mediator, and David Grodsky, Massachusetts Industrial Relations Adjuster.

Satisfactory Agreement

Both sides said yesterday that a substantial number of association demands are going to be met by the Administration. "It seems that we have a satisfactory agreement," Larry Letteri, president of the Patrolmen's Association, said yesterday.

The two groups said that the negotiations are in the final stages, but neither side has officially released the specific issues discussed or the agreements reached.

"We have now reached an agreement in principle," William N. Mullins, manager of employee relations, said yesterday after meeting with Letteri.

Increased Benefits

Indications, however, are that a compromise was arrived at whereby patrolman benefits will be increased while salary increases will not be substantially over the 5.5 per cent mark set by the Administration.

Mullins, who is responsible for the first-draft of the contract, said that it will be ready within a week.