Green Bags Another Ivy Title; Harvard Ties With Penn, Yale

By Peter A. Landry

Overcoming the howls of Dartmouth-haters throughout the Ivy League who reveled when the Big Green dropped its first three games this season, Dartmouth put the final touches on a remarkable comeback Saturday, nailing Princeton, 42-24, to clinch its fifth straight Ivy title.

While Harvard was wallowing to a 35-0 shellacking in the Yale Bowl, Dartmouth jumped out to a quick 14-0 lead against an inspired Tiger squad, and never trailed en route to the Green's sixth straight win.

Dartmouth also won the battle of the Snickenberger brothers, despite a 124-yard rushing performance by Tiger Walt, as Greenie Tom directed the relentless Dartmouth attack to the win.

The game also featured a record-breaking performance by Dartmouth halfback Rick Klupchak who broke the Green career rushing record held by his coach Jake Crouthamel. Klupchak amassed 154 yards in 23 carries and scored three times.

In New Haven, Conn., Harvard saved its worst performance for the last game of the season. Yielding three first-half touchdowns to a fired Yale squad, Harvard never had a chance. The Eli pass defense, led by Elvin Charity, scuttled the Harvard passing attack and held Pat McInally to three receptions for a harmless 29 yards. The Eli win enabled Yale to tie Harvard and Penn for second in the league.

In Philadelphia, Penn and Cornell unleashed a staggering aerial show as the Quakers captured a share of second place, with a 31-22 win. Penn quarterback Marty Vaughn threw 31 times, completing 17, and hit on three scoring strikes.

Even more impressive was the showing of Big Red signal caller Mark Allen who set a new Ivy single-game passing record with a 27 for 56 performance, good for 395 yards and two touchdowns. Cornell, figured to be a serious contender before injuries wiped out the Red running game, staggered home with a disappointing 2-5 Ivy record.

Brown earned its first winning season since 1964, riding the passing of Pete Beatrice to a 37-14 win over Columbia. Brown finished with a 4-3 league record, and 4-3-1 overall.