Liberal Is Victor In Minneapolis

Democrat Farm Labor's Albert Hofstede upset two-term independent Mayor Charles Stenvig in Minneapolis's mayoral election. Hofstede faced both a Republican and the independent Stenvig in the biennial contest.

Hofstede had described his campaign by saying, "I've approached this election like a crusade, to maintain our city's tradition of progressiveness."

He said he would provide "socially conscious leadership" as opposed to the law and order tack taken by the incumbent Stenvig.

Observers had felt that Hofstede would be fatally weakened by the presence of moderate Republican Gladys Brooks in the race.

The 32-year-old Hofstede, a tax expert for the Minnesota Jegislature, was endorsed by Senators Humphrey and Mondale and Governor Anderson. He attracted support from both the wealthy and minorities.

Hofstede was aided by general disenchantment with Mayor Stenvig's constant vetoes of City Council legislation, notably a bill providing for a domed stadium downtown.

During his campaign, Hofstede capitalized on Mayor Stenvig's refusal to release the names of donors to his campaign.