Wellesley Hockey Squad Tops 'Cliffe

Second Half Outburst Proves Decisive

Exploding for three second half goals, the Wellesley field hockey team defeated Radcliffe, 3-0, yesterday as cold weather and bad passing stopped the 'Cliffe offense.

After a scoreless first half, in which Radcliffe goalie Barbie Matson made about ten tough saves, Wellesley broke through with two scores in the opening eight minutes of the second half.

Neither team controlled the play in the remaining twenty minutes, but Wellesley added one more goal to seal the victory.

"Our defense was very good, especially in the first half, but the offensive line still is not clicking," Radcliffe coach Pippi O'Conner said after the game.

Couldn't Score

"We actually played better in the second half despite their scoring in that period, but the offense made bad passes at the wrong time, near their goal, and we couldn't score," O'Conner said.

Both offenses were weak in the first half. Radcliffe left-wing Kathy Agoos attributed the problems to the cold, "which slowed both teams down until we could warm up."

Agoos agreed with O'Conner that the Radcliffe offense played better in the second half "but we were not good enough and they broke through for their three goals," she said last night.

Radcliffe halfback Nancy Sato said the squad's lack of teamwork caused the offensive failure.

"The halfbacks didn't help the forwards and the fullbacks didn't help the halfbacks. We weren't aggressive enough and definitely needed more hustle," Sato said.

Radcliffe has as many shots on goal in the second half as Wellesley, but the winners put the ball past Matson with their sharp passing.

Fullbacks Paula Balboni and Liz Gordon held off Wellesley during the first half, but the hosts' pressure proved too strong in the last half.

Although they were disappointed with the defeat, the Radcliffe players seemed anxious for Saturday's match with archrival Princeton.

"Playing at home will be a big help," Agoos said. "We should be able to get some practice Thursday in a scrimmage with a squad from the Business School in order to improve the offense."