Thinclads Whip B.C., 81-37

Fieldmen Continue to Crush All Opponents

Bill McCurdy's thinclads bid their coach a stunning farewell last night as Harvard trounced the Eagles, 81-37, at the Boston College recreational complex yesterday.

The Crimson demolished B.C. in the field events, allowing its opponents only one first-place finish while claiming on sweep in one event, two 1-2 finishes and a first and third in the long jump.

The meet opened in true Crimson fashion as tri-captain Jay Hughes and junior Steve Niemi took first and second in the 35 lb. weight throw. B.C.'s Joe Dray took third but came up later to snap Hughes's three-meet streak in the shot put and claim B.C.'s only blue ribbon in the field events.

The multi-talented Vanderpool-Wallace continued his amazing jumping feats by taking first in both the long jump and the triple jump. He also took third to Harvard's Mel Embree's first in the high jump. Embree jumped 6 ft. 10 in. to win.

Blayne Heckel led a Crimson sweep in the pole vault, clearing 14 ft. 6 in. Don Berg and Steve Hanes both vaulted 14 ft. to place second and third.

B.C.'s showing in the running events was slightly better than in the field, but even the presence of Keith Francis, the Eagles' highly-touted middle-distance man, was not enough to save B.C. from the Crimson stampede.

Francis did take first in the 1000-yard run, coming in at a strong 2:12. But as anchorman in the two-mile-relay, he could only slice off 40 yards of an insurmountable Crimson lead, to give Harvard an easy five points with six seconds to spare.

Bill Muller fresh from a J.V. victory in the two-mile against Army, placed second to B.C.'s Jim Capezzuto, while Harvard's Jim Keefe took third.

Joe Peters and Randy Buckley placed a convincing first and second in the 600-yard run. Craig Butler bested some stiff competition in the 60-yard high hurdle, taking first over B.C.'s Bill Mahoney and Kerry Leppo.

The 60-yard dash has been a sore spot for the Crimson for some time, but Alan Yates snatched first in 6.4 seconds, with Alan Boyer coming in third. B.C.'s Mahoney took second in the event.