Tony Jenkins: 'We're Starting to Rol

SPORTS PROFILE

In a surprising victory Tuesday night, the basketball team defeated Holy Cross, 97-89. The victory evened the team's record at 3-3. But even more surprising was that during the first half, the Crimson cagers led by as much as 35 points. Tony Jenkins, team captain and leading scorer with 26 points, wasn't so surprised.

"We're starting to roll. During the first half we played the best ball I've ever seen any Harvard team play," Jenkins said yesterday.

"The guys on the squad are starting to feel that we're a top team. This is important because when you believe in yourself, the team and the coach, then you can go somewhere," he added.

Where the Harvard basketball team goes this year depends a lot on Jenkins.

Before a game Jenkins will shoot some baskets to warm up and then sit down. He is quiet. "I like to sit. Just sit and think about what I'm going to have to do," he said.

When the starring five Harvard players are announced, Jenkins is announced last. He carries his lean but muscular frame smoothly onto the court where he joins his teammates.

Muttering encouraging words, his face tightens and he grits his teeth. Two veins on each side of his face protrude as signs of his strength and determination. The crowd cheers. The teams break from their huddles. Jenkins is ready.

Once the game begins Jenkins is always moving. For a man 6 ft. 8 in. tall, he is quick. He rebounds well and scores consistently. But he doesn't only contribute on the court; if on the bench, he claps his hands and shouts encouragingly to his teammates.

Jenkins came to Harvard from Shattuck, a private school in Minnesota, where he led the basketball team to three undefeated seasons.

He didn't find the transition to Ivy league basketball difficult. During his freshman year he established new records in both scoring and rebounding, averaging 26.2 points and 17.3 rebounds a game.

Jenkins moved up to Bob Harrison's varsity squad for the 1971-72 season. The team was already star-studded with James Brown, Floyd Lewis and Jim Fitzsimmons. With Jenkins the team was suppose win the Ivy League, and more. Ins they finished two seasons with med 15-11 and 14-12 records.

"The last couple of years we had talent, the billing and the press, but never won the games," Jenkins said

"Coach Harrison was a beautiful but it got bad when the players question his competence as a coach. He lost players' respect," he said.

Jenkins smiles when talking about Sanders, the former Celtic star and program Harvard coach. "Satch is a maestro knows the game and he knows how teach the game. He's a person commands respect," he said.

"He's taken an inexperienced, until squad and turned it into a team that win games. He's going to be a great in a short time," he added.

For next year Jenkins is seri considering professional basketball the right opportunity is there, I'd be terested," he said.

Jenkins has also applied to law so He failed in getting a Rhodes scholar but has been awarded a Rocks fellowship.

"I've got some good options. It spring I'll decide," he said.