Energy Shortages Force N.E. Schools To Extend Breaks

Critical oil shortages have forced many New England colleges to make calendar adjustments to reduce heating fuel consumption this winter.

Many Boston area schools, including Harvard, MIT, Boston College, and Boston University, have cut back on fuel use rather than close down for an extended Christmas vacation.

Dartmouth Hit

However the energy crisis has caused several schools, such as Dartmouth, UMass at Amherst, Tufts, and Brandeis, to lengthen their winter vacations, at the expense of one or two weeks of the school year.

Jeanne Crain, Brandeis assistant director of residence, said yesterday that the school's fuel supplier informed it Saturday that no more fuel would be delivered unless Brandeis cuts back on its fuel consumption.

"Because many of our steam lines needed fixing, we weren't able to cut back enough, so we have to close down for the month of January," Crain said. "Hopefully our fuel situation will be okay by the end of the month," she later added.

At UMass, school officials have been forced to slice one week out of their threeweek January intersession and independent-study program.

"We are making this effort to close down for one of the three weeks, only out of wisdom and good citizenship," Robert L. Glucksterm, vice chancellor of the university, said yesterday.

Dartmouth College plans to begin its winter term January 9, six days later than usual. Administrators at Tufts University have announced a two-week extension of Christmas vacation and a 32-day shutdown commencing on February 8. The move is the result of a 30-per-cent reduction in the school's fuel supply this year.

Northeastern University plans to avert energy problems by shutting down administrative and research operations December 22-31. There have been no changes in the students' December 17-January 1 vacation.