Shockley and Innis To Meet in Debate Today at Princeton

By Nicholas Lemann

William B. Shockley, professor of Electrical Engineering at Stanford, and Roy Innis, director of the Congress of Racial Equality, will debate today at Princeton University.

The Whig-Cliosophic Society, a Princeton undergraduate club, will sponsor the debate, which will center on the issue of the heritability of intelligence.

Shockley, a Nobel laureate in Physics, claims that intelligence is 80 per cent inherited, and that blacks are, because of their genetic make-up, less intelligent than whites.

He also says that the percentage of "Caucasian blood" in a person directly correlates with that person's intelligence.

The Whig-Cliosophic Society has restricted attendance at the debate to Princeton students and faculty. Press coverage will be limited to the school's publications, the University Press Club and reporters specifically invited by Shockley or Innis. The Crimson will cover the debate.

The Harvard Law School Forum was originally scheduled to sponsor the debate in October. However, the Law Forum cancelled the debate, it said, because it was under pressure from black faculty members.

Shockley said yesterday he will hold "a tutorial" prior to the debate today, to acquaint reporters covering the debate with his theories.

How to See

He said he will show reporters at the tutorial "how to see that genes are 80 per cent of intelligence, and how to see how white ancestry relates to intelligence."

Shockley suggested several years ago that the U.S. government offer cash incentives to encourage people with below-average intelligence to have themselves sterilized, at a rate of $1000 for each I.Q. point below 100.