Fencers Take On Holy Cross In Year's Next-to-Last Match

The Harvard fencing team, doomed to an inglorious second-division finish in the Ivy League, travels to Worcester tonight for a match with Holy Cross that should fatten up the final Crimson won-lost totals, but which should add little else to the Harvard season.

Harvard has fallen on hard times in recent weeks, dropping four straight Ivy encounters, and while the Crimson has an 8-5 record to date, there is little but disappointment left for a team that had hoped to challenge for the League title and Eastern supremacy.

Crimson coach Edo Marion's highly-rated first team has produced nothing but disappointing performances this year, and with only two matches left in the season, he must have some serious thoughts about the next season.

Resistance

Tonight Marion will use this first team, despite the fact that Holy Cross is not likely to mount much resistance for the Crimson. After the loss to Penn last Saturday, 15-12, Marion said that he would make all his front line fencers make the trip to Worcester because they had not fenced well in the "big" matches of the season.

In sabre Marion will go with Terry Valenzuela, Gordon Rutledge and Walt Morris. Valenzuela, who should be All-Ivy when the final League statistics are released, has been the most consistent and productive Harvard performer this year.

In foil Phillipe Bennett, Howie Weiss and Dave Fichter will hold down the first three positions for Harvard, but against a weak team like Holy Cross, number four man John Wilinsky is sure to see plenty of action.

In epee Eugene White, Eric Read and John Hirshfeld will probably be the top three Crimson performers. Read, who has stepped up to the varsity and put together an impressive record, has to be rated as the unsung hero of the Harvard squad--at least as far as the last third of the season is concerned.