Anthropology Dept. Considers Ending Present Senior Generals Examination

The Anthropology Department will consider a plan to replace the senior generals exam with a test at the end of the sophomore year.

The proposal, which will be discussed at next week's department meeting, is part of a recommendation by the student-Faculty curriculum committee to revise the sophomore tutorial program.

The faculty has already approved the creation of an Anthropology 97 course, which all sophomore concentrators will take for full-course credit next year.

Group Lectures

The course will be taught by professors and tutors in a series of group lectures and discussions. Members of each field in the department will participate in debate on discussion topics.

John D. Haviland, head tutor of the Anthropology Department, said yesterday that the new general s plan was designed so that concentrators would be tested on material they have actually covered in a course.

Under the present system, all seniors are tested on their sub-field of concentration, and are asked general questions about the other branches of anthropology.

Haviland said that some Faculty members expressed "last minute" objection to abolishing senior generals at the last department meeting. "some die-hards in the department think there is something thereputic as well as educational about general exams the way they are," he said.

Gordon R. Willey, Bowditch Professor of Central American and Mexican Archaeology and Ethnology, said yesterday, "I think the sophomore tutorial and test is a good idea, but it's still important for there to be at least an oral exam for honors candidates at the end of the senior year."

Matthew B. Stern '74, a member of the committee that formulated the proposal, said yesterday that the changes seem "pretty definite." "Senior year is just bad timing for a general exam," he said.

Haviland said that no decision has been made concerning general exams for this year's sophomore and junior classes if the proposal should be accepted. "I would support a take home exam that students have all year to do," he added.