Racquetmen Face Penn in Ivy Opener Today

The Crimson racquetmen will take their first shots against league contenders today, facing a favored Penn squad that holds the advantage of playing on its own turf.

"Penn will be very tough on their own hard-surfaced courts," said Ken Lidner, who moved into Harvard's number one spot after the departure of Harris Masterson, "but we'll be ready."

The Crimson swept past the Quakers, 8-1, in a fiery battle at home last year, when four matches were forced to go the full three sets.

In the closest match last year, Lidner squeaked by Larry Loeb, 7-6, in the decisive third set. Top-seeded Loeb and Penn veterans Jason Schwartz and Andy Finn will be out with teeth bared to avenge last years shellacking.

The decisive factor in the outcome of today's match will be the play of the new doubles teams, Lidner said.

Regrouped Doubles

Masterson's departure--upsetting what coach Jack Barnaby said was the real strength of the team--led to a regrouping of two of the three doubles teams that were set last year. Masterson left the team for personal reasons last month.

The new doubles players have had little time to practice together, which has hindered their teamwork.

"MIT wasn't good enough to give us a real test," Lidner said. "We'll know just how far the doubles teams have to go after today."

Barnaby said that the doubles teams are getting stronger every day, and should be very strong by the matches against powerhouses Columbia and Princeton.

Tom Loring and captain Randy Barnett, the only veteran doubles team, will face Penn's best combo. Lidner will join Gary Rowbotham in the second doubles slot, and John Inger and Gary Reiner will play the final match.

Win or lose today, the racquetmen will catch their breath and meet an excellent Navy squad on Saturday. Though not as formidable as Penn, Navy's star Craig Dawson and company will be shooting to sink Barnaby's boys.