Brown Scores Eight in All-Star Loss

Despite the long post-season layoff, Harvard's senior forward James Brown turned in a stellar performance for the university division squad in a 109-105 loss to the college division team in the New England All-Star Basketball Game last night.

Brown, moving in and out of the low post from his corner position, chipped in eight points and six rebounds in the losing effort. Bill Callan of Bridgeport led the winners and all scorers with 16 points.

"James played real well, especially considering the shape he's in now," JV coach Bob Hart said of Brown's showing.

Brown agreed, saying, "Nobody was really in shape this long after the season. It showed in our style of play, which got pretty rough under the boards. There was quite a bit of shoving. The fans and coaches were reacting to it, but the refs wouldn't call anything.

Starters

Brown started the game along with Gene Doyle of Holy Cross, Peter Gavett, from the University of Maine; Fairfield's George Groom, and Steve Rowell of Rhode Island. The squad, down 51-48 at half-time, trailed the college unit the entire game.

"We didn't play hard until late in the game when somebody looked up at the scoreboard and saw that if we didn't get down to business we'd lose. We ripped off 10 or 12 straight points, but it was too late to catch up," Brown said.

The game provided many pro basketball scouts with a last look at the New England portion of this year's college crop before the NBA and ABA drafts coming up tomorrow and Friday.

Brown, as well as senior center Floyd Lewis and senior forward Marshall Sanders, hope to be drafted.

"I'd welcome the opportunity to play pro basketball," Brown said, "But I'll just have to wait and see what the pro teams think of my ability."