Princeton's Slate of 'Perverts' Claims Student Assembly Win

Four Princeton University students, promising to "advance the cause of sexual perversion in every way, shape and form" on the Princeton campus, claimed victory yesterday in the student government elections. The results will be announced today.

Junior Richard Goodman, the "Perverto" candidate for president of Princeton's Undergraduate Assembly, said yesterday, "We're not interested in student government. We're basically out to have a good time."

The campaign started as a joke shortly before the primary two weeks ago. The "perverts" quickly gained momentum and their slate of candidates received a plurality in the primary election. "We ran because we realized what a farce student government is, and we are all perverts anyway," Goodman said.

Coats, Shades, and Nothing Else

Curtis Haydn, Goodman's roommate and running mate, said yesterday that "we have no ideas or real platform, but we all dress in trenchcoats, sunglasses, and nothing else."

Steven Stone, one of Goodman's opponents for the presidency, described the "perverto" campaign as a "coalition of crazy far left and far right students, who say student government doesn't have any power."

"It may be amusing, but we feel students have a lot to lose if Goodman and his friends are elected," Stone added.

The Undergraduate Assembly, established in 1967, serves as a student forum. A "Perverto" victory will mark an about face from the last few years when the Assembly discussed such topics as Princeton's investment policies and the University's denunciation of the Vietnam war. The president of the Assembly also appoints students to several University policy-making committees.