Charles S. Maier Is Appointed New Senior Tutor of Leverett

The name of Charles S. Maier '60, assistant professor of History, has been submitted to the Corporation for approval as the new Senior Tutor of Leverett House.

Maier will replace Orlando Patterson, professor of Sociology, who will be leaving the post at the end of this year.

If the appointment is approved, there would be no "institutional departures" from the present operation of Leverett House, Maier said yesterday. "There will be less trying-out institutional specifics than just being present and taking an active interest in the House," he said.

Diversity

Maier added, however, that he would try to develop more of an "educational community" at Leverett House. Citing the diversity of interests among the students of Leverett, he said that he will try to establish educational activities combining various academic fields.

"The students of Leverett are very diverse," Maier said. "Everyone at Leverett does his own thing. It makes more sense than to experiment with multi-disciplinary types of courses.

A Nice View

"Up to now students are attracted to Leverett House by its architectural advantages," he continued. "I want to go beyond just offering modern apartments with a nice view."

Maier, whose term as assistant professor expires this year, will be a lecturer in History next year. He said that he will probably not be teaching the year after, and is uncertain as to whether he will remain as Senior Tutor.

Continuity

"The dean [of the College], the Master and the students have all expressed that they would like continuity," he said. But he added that the factors deciding whether or not he will remain are "what arrangements are made for the one-half of my time when I am not Senior Tutor, and opportunities elsewhere."