Cowens, Silas Lead Celts To 110-100 Playoff Win

The Boston Celtics overcame injuries, a sparkling performance by Walt Frazier, and New York's Madison Square Garden crowd to score an upset 110-100 victory over the New York Knicks last night to even their play-off series at three games apiece.

Behind at the end of the first half, 55-53, the Celtics relied on consistent team play and the outstanding efforts of Paul Silas and Dave Cowens to pull even with the faltering Knicks and to pull ahead late in the fourth period.

Trailing 96-94 midway through the final quarter, Cowens connected on a hook to tie the score and then, after a foul by Phil Jackson, Don Nelson sank two free throws to put the Celtics ahead to stay.

Cowens continued the Boston tear as he made an 18-foot jumber and followed with a left-handed hook. John Havlicek, playing inspired ball, contributed two free throws and a bucket to put Boston ten points ahead and the game out of reach.

Dave Cowens closed out the night with a team-high of 26 points and 16 rebounds, including several key nabs that came in the closing moments of play that helped insure Boston's victory. Paul Silas, obtained from Phoenix before the season, proved again and again his value as he pumped in seemingly impossible shots falling down, double teamed, and from any other imagineable position. He connected on several important drives in Boston's stretch for the win in final moments of play.

Jo Jo White, who added 25 points, connected from almost every spot on the court as he overcame the close guarding of Walt Frazier.

Frazier led all scorers with 29 points. Throughout the game, he found the gaps in the Boston defense and turned them into New York scores. Earl, the pearl, Monroe contributed 22 to the Knick cause.

The Celtics grabbed an early lead in the game as they fired in six straight points to go ahead 16-10 with seven minutes left in the first period. Boston held the advantage for almost an entire period before surrendering it in the middle of the second quarter, when the Knicks edged ahead 35-34.

The remainder of the first half was a seesaw battle as the Knicks and the Celtics traded the lead four more times. New York, once they seized the advantage the last time in the half, raced to a quick eight point lead. In the closing moments of the first half, the Celts crept back within two as the half ended, 55-53.

Boston held the lead in field goal percentage at the end of the first half, but they also were ahead in balls turned over, which accounted for the Knick lead.

The difference in the bench strength of the two teams could have spelled defeat for the Celtics, had the Knicks used their substitutes, considered by many to be about the best in pro basketball, to full advantage.

Boston, on the other hand, could not substitute as freely as it did in the regular season because of the numerous injuries that decimated its ranks. Most noticeably, Havlicek had torn muscles in his right shoulder that kept him from combing his hair with that hand for a week. Chaney and Nelson also sufferred various minor injuries that slowed down the fast break that Boston counts on.

The playoff series returns to the Boston Garden on Sunday in the seventh and deciding game, in one of the closest playoff series in recent years.