Hynes to Sign Bruin Hockey Contract

David Hynes, former Harvard All-American hockey star, told The Crimson yesterday that he has made a verbal agreement with the Boston Bruins and will sign a professional contract with them in the near future.

Hynes said that he had negotiated with both the Bruins and the Whalers for the last two months before he finally chose to play for last year's Stanley Cup champions. He would not disclose the terms of the contract.

Hynes's statements dispelled rumors that he had signed a professional hockey contract last week, as the Boston Globe reported last Saturday.

Professional hockey will not prevent Hynes from completing his education, he said. "I will definitely get my college degree, and I hope to enroll in Harvard's summer program," he said.

An All-American in his junior year, Hynes displayed the speed and quick wrist shot that made him the best left wing in intercollegiate hockey before he withdrew from Harvard at mid-year.

Hynes was the most valuable player in the ECAC tournament this year, scoring a hat trick in Harvard's 7-4 come-from-behind victory over Clarkston in the finals. He is the third leading scorer in Harvard hockey history.