One Course Per Term Open To All University Employees

By E. VERMONT Blanchard

Many University employees seem to be unaware of their right to take one Harvard Summer School course per session without charge.

"The Summer School policy up to now has been to allow employees of Harvard and Radcliffe employed full-time since April 1 and continuing through the summer to take one course for credit, non-credit, or audit, with the tuition waived," Harold F. Wilkinson, associate director of the Summer School, said yesterday.

The employee must pay only the $25 registration fee charged to all students and must present an Approval Form signed by his foreman, supervisor, dean, or care-taking department head.

The only conditions imposed on the employee taking a course at Harvard are that he must not lose any work time due to his studying, and that, if a course is over-subscribed, he must withdraw to admit a paying student.

Yet, many employees have not been informed of these privileges. "I never heard of it," Louis Casson, a Buildings and Grounds employee said yesterday. "Sure, I'd be interested, but no one ever approached me about it."

"I didn't hear anything about it," Lowell House Superintendent Andrew Stephens said, though he expressed interest in the program.

William Murphey, director of Buildings and Grounds, said last night that he had tried to circulate word of the privilege among the B&G employees through the years, but that it was possible that some may not have heard of it.

At least one former B&G employee has taken full advantage of the program, however: In 1968, Raymond Mills was awarded a Harvard diploma based on the studies he pursued through this program. He is now assistant personnel administrator.

Harvard University Police Chief R. Tonis has also taken advantage of the program. He has taken 34 courses at Harvard over the past 11 years. Tonis said that he has told other members of the University Police about the opportunity, but few if any have apparently responded.

"It's great," said Tonis, speaking of the undergraduate courses. "I've enjoyed it so much.