Hilles Library Grill to Remain Closed

$8200 Deficit Prompts Move

By Joy Horowitz

The Faculty of Arts and Sciences has decided to close the Hilles Library grill this year because of last year's $8200 deficit.

The grill, which was located on the fourth floor of Hilles, was operated by Harvard Food Services and subsidized by the Faculty of Arts and Sciences. In addition to losing $7000 from food sales last year, the Food Services owes Hilles Library about $1200 in utility and rent charges.

"The grill was not generating enough use to support itself," Stephen S.J. Hall, vice president for administration, said yesterday. "We cannot run that grill and have it break even if we've got to pay rent. There simply wasn't enough business there to make it go," Hall said.

$5000 for Burgers?

Richard G. Leahy, associate dean of the Faculty for resources and planning, said yesterday that he "examined the results of last year and discovered that it took at least $5000 to cover the Hilles grill operation."

"So I talked to Frank Weissbecker [associate director of the Food Services] and told him that I didn't think it was fair for the Faculty of Arts and Sciences to pay that much money for people to eat hamburgers at Hilles," Leahy said.

Currier to Open Grill

Leahy also pointed out that the grill posed competition with other Radcliffe grills. But this year, the only operating grill the the Quad will be the Currier House grill, due to open sometime next week, according to Stephen N. Cohn '75, co-president of the Currier House committee.

Nancy Toff, co-president of the South House committee, said yesterday she is trying to have the grill reopened on a student-run basis.

When asked if students could be responsible for running the grill, Leahy replied that there would be "no problem with students running it at a no-cost basis. There might even be some give on the rental."