Harrier Jim Keefe Runs for His Life

Captain Wins Ivy Honors

By Francis T. Crimmins jr.

What is more startling than the fact that senior cross country captain Jim Keefe runs the 2.6 mile harrier course in the same time that it takes most individuals to walk from Harvard Yard to the Radcliffe Yard, is the fact that the Mather resident can squeeze an afternoon of practice into his hectic schedule.

Keefe's schedule could match the ledger of the most agressive politician, as he plays in the Harvard Jazz Band, works part-time as a research assistant and computer programmer, is in the process of applying to graduate schools, and is trying to write a thesis in economics.

For Keefe wears many hats, most notably that of being the Crimson's premier harrier. And it is because of Keefe, that the Crimson was able to salvage a season that was predicted to be a total disaster, with the IC4As championship remaining.

Going into the cross country season, Crimson coach Bill McCurdy was prepared for the worst, as graduation and injuries had reduced the Harvard squad to almost nothing. Not only was McCurdy lacking the talent that had marked previous Crimson squads, but the preseason training camp was attended by the smallest team since its inception.

But to the complete satisfaction of McCurdy, Keefe, from Norwood and Xaverian Brothers High School, assumed the role of team leader, and led a grueling pace throughout the training session, whipping the team into condition. McCurdy asked, "How the hell can an introspective musician be such a good dictator?"

The season was not to be an equal success as the Crimson dropped the first five meets due to a plague of injuries and lack of depth. During this stretch, Keefe was bothered by a bad cold, and he was unable to run at full strength, but he still took first place honors in meets versus Northeastern, Penn, and Columbia.

Returning to top form, Keefe continued his winning ways, copping top honors against Brown and Dartmouth, and making strong showings in the other meets. The harrier squad made a slight comeback, but on the whole, the season was disappointing.

Keefe's efforts were given just recognition one week ago when the senior was named to the All-Ivy squad for the second consecutive year, along with fellow Crimson harrier, freshman Stein Rafto. The award was captured on the basis of a solid fourth-place finish in the Heptagonal meet held one week ago in New York City.

"In terms of individual effort, Jim's been a shining light," McCurdy said yesterday. "He's been the one thing that this team could rally around to compete with pride," added the coach.

Running is a part of life for this thoughtful athlete-musician as Keefe runs virtually year-round, competing in all three track seasons.

"I enjoy running," Keefe said, "it's a basic form of competition, and I'm fairly competitive."

"Running depends upon one's ability to push oneself, more than a certain ability," Keefe said yesterday. He said that "It's sort of a game to see if one can overcome the mental and physical barriers that running presents on the competitive level."

So Keefe keeps running ten miles every afternoon, testing himself, and preparing for the upcoming Eastern championship meet. But winning the meet is not the important thing for Keefe, for running is a game, and his only judge is Jim Keefe.