Jiggetts Elected Football Captain for Next Year

Holt, Weidemann and Bennett Receive Awards At Harvard Club Football Banquet Last Night

By Andrew P. Quigley

The Crimson's Dan Jiggets won the highest tribute a team can pay to a player, as the big number 75 was elected captain of the 1975 Harvard football team yesterday.

Jiggetts was an All-Ivy selection at offensive tackle and a second-team All-New England last year as a sophomore. The 6 ft. 5 in. 265 pound Jiggetts was the mainstay of the Crimson offensive line this past season.

When head coach Joe Restic came in to the Varsity Club yesterday afternoon and held up the jersey with the number 75 on it, announcing, "This is your new captain," the room burst into a huge ovation for the popular Jiggetts.

"I have to say that it came as a real surprise to me," Jiggetts said. "I really enjoy playing with the guys, but I never expected anything like this. To tell the truth, I didn't even vote for myself. When coach Restic held up the jersey, I just stood there and looked at it for a minute before I realized it was my number."

Banquet Awards

Awards for the past season's stellar performances were presented last night during the annual football banquet at the Harvard Club of Boston. Star quarterback Milt Holt was the 26th recipient of the Frederick Greeley Crocker Award which is presented "to that Harvard player who in the opinion of his teammates possesses the initiative, perserverance, and selfless determination which were demonstrated by the late Ted Crocker." The award traditionally has the connotation of the Most Valuable Player Award.

Holt set Harvard season records for most touchdown passes (16), most touchdowns passing and running (22), most passing yardage (1456), and most total yardage (1961).

Holt was named to the ECAC Division One Weekly team four times, won the Ivy Player of the Week twice, and was selected as the ECAC Player of the Week and New England Golden Helmet recipient after the Yale game.

The William Layne Lacroix Trophy, presented to the team's unsung hero, went to John Bennett, a reserve fullback the last three years. "John never complained or missed a day and he often volunteered for different positions in practice," Restic said yesterday.

Defensive end Hardy Weidemann copped the other major award of the night, taking the Henry Lamar Award. Weidemann received a gold pocket watch presented to the Harvard senior who makes a unique contribution through dedication to the program and concern for his fellow players.

'Player Of The Week'

Weidemann, the starting right defensive tackle the whole season, was chosen the coaches' defensive player of the week against Holy Cross. The ABC-TV broadcasters chose him defensive player of the game with Cornell for having recovered two key fumbles against the Big Red that led to Harvard touchdowns.

"Hardy was the player whose spirit held us together," said Restic. "No matter how disappointing a key loss may have been, he never got discouraged, and his spirit lifted the morale of the whole team."