Radcliffe Swims to Narrow Win Over Brown, While Harvard Glides to Victory Over Army

'Cliffe Swimmers Set Relay Record

By Martha S. Hewson

The Radcliffe swim team set a new relay record Saturday, while defeating Brown, 70-61, in a neck-and-neck meet that was not decided until the final free-style relay.

Shattering the old record of 2:03.478, the 200-meter medley relay team of Laurie Downey, Nancy Sato, Diana Borden, and Kyle Patterson turned in a time of 2:03.346.

In the 100-meter breast stroke Radcliffe picked up eight points with a first-place finish by Borden and a second by Carol Moore.

Tri-captain Sato won both diving events while Borden placed third in the required one-meter dive and Laverne Sargent chipped in a third in the one-meter optional dive.

First-Place Swimmers

Downey contributed first-place finishes in the 200-meter freestyle and 100-meter butterfly and Borden placed first in the 50-meter breast stroke.

Julie Wade captured third place in the 400-meter freestyle, a new long distance event for Radcliffe.

Sato faced tough competition in the diving events from Noel Keefer, an experienced diver who has qualified for the nationals. "I was nervous all week long," Sato said yesterday. "I practiced thousands of dives in my head all week."