VITUPERATIVE ABUSE

THE MAIL

To the Editors of The Crimson:

Mr. Douglas Schoen's reference in his article "A Liberal Demonstration" (March 11) to "the group of punk ass Republicans at Harvard trying to suck up to the vice president" falls below even the characteristically low standards of taste and fairness on which The Crimson prides itself. I can hardly imagine either Mr. Schoen or The Crimson referring to the New American Movement as "a dirty bunch of wimps and faggots" or to the Radcliffe Women's Organization as "a herd of bovine eunuchs," although I don't know, perhaps they would if either group had the temerity to invite the Vice President to Boston. What justification is there, then, for directing such vituperative abuse at the Harvard Republican Club? Mr. Schoen's clumsy attempt to demonstrate his ideological machismo is as inane as it is pointless. The fondness for such rhetoric is one of the attributes that distinguishes mindless barbarians from civilized individuals, and Mr. Schoen owes his readers either an apology or a confession that his sympathies lie with the former group. Steve Chapman '76   Gary Golding '74   Richard Smith '75

Schoen's reply: My sympathies lie with the former group.