70 Per Cent of Students Receive Top House Pick

By Jeffrey D. Dunn

An estimated 70 per cent of the freshman class received their top House choice, and approximately 95 per cent received one of their top five House choices, Eleanor C. Marshall, assistant to the dean for housing, said yesterday.

Marshall said no one received his or her 11th or 12th House choice, adding that 141 of the 144 freshmen who asked to remain in the Yard were assigned there for their sophomore years.

Freshmen will receive their housing assignments either Wednesday or Thursday.

'Not Entirely Accurate'

Bruce Collier, a research associate in the Office of Tests who handled the computerized housing lottery, said yesterday, however, that Marshall's figures "are not entirely accurate."

Collier said the actual figures had not yet been worked out, and would not be released until after freshmen had received their housing assignments. "We do not want freshmen to become overly optimistic," he said.

W.C. Burris Young '55, associate dean of freshmen, said yesterday that he has been assured that Canaday Hall, the new freshman dormitory being built in the Yard, would be completed on time. "They tell me that barring an act of God, it's going to be finished," he said.

Additional Places

The Freshman Dean's Office originally announced there would be room for only 125 freshmen to live in the Yard; however, 141 have been assigned there.

Collier said 16 additional incoming freshmen will be placed at Radcliffe next year, leaving 16 additional places in the Yard.

Collier said separate housing lotteries had been held for men and women, in an attempt to preserve the male-female ratios in some Houses and to equalize the ratio in others. Admission to the Yard was sexblind, however, he said.

The Radcliffe Quadrangle will remain at its current ratio, approximately one-to-one, as will Harvard Houses with relatively low male-female ratios, Collier said. These include Adams, Dunster, Lowell and Quincy, he said.

Equalized Ratios

The ratios in the remaining Houses has been equalized as much as possible, Collier said. "The range varied from a low of 3.2-to-1 to a high of 3.8-to-1, which is not a very great difference," he said.

Young said that there will be no all-sophomore entries in Yard dormitories, because there was no demand for them. He said no women will be placed in Wigglesworth and Straus, for security reasons.