Upperclasses May Be Limited To Certain Union Lunch Times

The Freshman Council passed a motion last night recommending that upperclassmen be permitted to check in to eat lunch in the Freshman Union only during three specified time periods.

The resolution to allow upperclassmen from 11:45 a.m. to noon, 12:30 to 1 p.m., and 1:30 to 1:45 p.m. must be approved by F. Skiddy von Stade Jr. '37, dean of freshmen.

Von Stade said last night he approves of the measure "in principle," but stressed he would discuss the matter with the Freshmen Council before reaching a final decision.

Freshmen Council President Renee M. Landers '77 said at last night's meeting that she is "sure this [the proposal] will be accepted by Dean von Stade."

Vote

The resolution, designed to help ease lunchtime overcrowding at the Union, passed by a vote of 18 to 15, with one member abstaining.

An earlier motion, which would have totally barred all upperclassmen except those signed in as guests of freshmen, was defeated, 13-22.

A survey taken last week revealed that on some days as many as 25 per cent of the students eating lunch in the Union were upperclassmen; on one day 500 of 1700 diners were upperclassmen.

The three time periods during which upperclassmen would be allowed to check in were selected in order to alleviate the crowding which occurs shortly after 11 a.m. and noon classes.

Rejected

Von Stade did not approve last week's council resolution to bar Adams, Lowell and Quincy residents from eating lunch in the Union. Suspecting that relatively few of the upperclassmen eating in the Union were from these three houses, von Stade said he thought the proposal "would be a rather futile gesture." Last week's survey revealed that usually fewer than 50 residents of these houses eat lunch in the Union.

Other Plans

Other plans considered last week included placing a quota on the number of River House and Radcliffe Quad residents allowed to eat in the Union.