Lights Face Columbia, Rutgers Today

Stiff Race Expected

By Andrew P. Quigley jr.

The 1974 edition of the Harvard lightweight crew unveils itself today as the team faces Columbia and Rutgers on New York's beautiful (?) Harlem River in its season-opening race.

The biggest question mark for the Crimson as it enters the race is the experience of its crew, as there will be five sophomores starting in the varsity eight.

The sophomores are Ned Reynolds at the all-important stroke position, Leif Soderberg at six, Mac Heller at five, John Kiger at three and Bob Leahey in the bow slot.

Senior Peter Huntsman at two and junior Todd Howard at seven are the only oarsmen with previous varsity experience.

Senior Paul McKenna, up from the undefeated J V boat of last year, is at the four spot to round out the boat.

Captain Chris Ross, the coxswain, said yesterday, "The team is a bit young, but the boat is running well. We need some improvement, and they will improve by the end of the season."

The Harlem River is notorious for crew races. Coxswains have to watch out for floating debris in their paths, and be aware of local youths dropping bricks from overhead bridges. River traffic can also be hazardous. A second freshman boat was washed out by the wake of a sightseeing tour boat two years ago.

Landlubbers

Harvard usually comes into this race with a great deal of confidence, since neither Columbia nor Rutgers has had especially good crew teams in the past. The Crimson consequently has won this race each year for as far back as anyone at Newell boat house can remember.

Things could be different this year, however. While the Lions again should not be a factor, the Scarlet Knights have put together a strong lightweight crew. Last week they beat a good Pennsylvania team that experts had tagged as a crew to watch this season.

Coach John Higginson said yesterday, "It will be bloody close with Rutgers. Rutgers is pretty good this year--unusually good for them--and they are better prepared for a race than us. But I hope not."

Cox Ross added, "Normally we don't take this race too seriously, but we'll have to this year."

In other action on the Harlem, the second and third varsity will face Rutgers and Notre Dame respectively, and the freshman will meet the Columbia and Rutgers freshmen lights.