Tennis Team Defeats Yale 9-0; Lindner, Ingard Star in Win

The Harvard tennis team breezed to an easy victory over the Yale netmen in New Haven on Saturday, 9-0.

The match between Crimson ace Ken Lindner and Yale's number-one man Dan Grossman shaped up as about the only interesting one all day. Grossman, who had earlier beaten the number-one men of both Penn and Navy, led Lindner 5-1 in the first set. At that point, however, Lindner smashed out six game wins to take the set 7-6. Lindner cruised to a 6-3 victory in the second set.

The rest of the Harvard lineup had little trouble as the number two and three men for the Crimson, John Ingard and Gary Reiner, won their matches without losing a single game.

In doubles competition, Lindner and Rowbothan combined for Harvard to take the first doubles match, 6-3, 6-3. Ingard and Horn swept the second doubles match in 6-0, 6-4.

While the normal scoring for a tennis match is based on the outcome of the first six singles matches and the first three doubles matches, Harvard, Princeton and Yale fight for a Big Three title in which ten singles and five doubles matches are used in scoring.

The Crimson with this scoring method won 14-1 with only Orme Wilson in the number nine spot losing to Derrick Niederman of Yale, 3-6, 1-6.

"It was really important to us to beat Brown and Yale this way (9-0, 9-0) after we lost to Columbia and Penn last weekend," Lindner said. "We should beat Cornell and Army this weekend and that should help us in the league."