Crimson Nine Returns From South 8-3

Season Opens Today Against B.C.

By William E. Stedman jr.

Loyal Park's varsity baseball squad returned from a week in the warmer climes of Georgia and Florida with some sunburn, eight victories, three losses, several key injuries, a powerful batting order, a few pitching surprises and a few disappointments, a designated hitter, 89 runs scored, 43 scored-against, an unofficial win against a Montreal Expos farm club, some promising rookies and optimism about the upcoming season which opens today against GBL rival Boston College.

"We answered a lot of questions we had before going down," Park said yesterday. On the other hand, however, the squad returned with several new question marks, such as Dave St. Pierre, who pulled a hamstring the second day out and may be lost for up to two weeks. Second baseman Ric LaCivita with a finger sprain and catcher John Friar with a pulled hamstring are also questionable for today's opener.

"It's a day-to-day situation," Park said referring to the status of his walking wounded.

Other question marks arose on the pitching staff, as several of the veterans didn't perform up to pre-season billing. Mike O'Malley and Norm Walsh were the only vets to go undefeated. O'Malley pitched 13 innings, allowing only seven hits and one run while picking up a pair of wins. Walsh had just one start and grabbed the win thanks to some strong Harvard hitting which produced 17 runs to work with. Walsh allowed ten hits and six runs in his seven-inning stint against Clark College.

The only three losses came against veterans Don Driscoll and Milt Holt. Holt, who split his two starts, winning one at Morehouse College, was the victim of Bethune Cookman College, 5-4, in extra innings. Driscoll lost both of his southern starts as powerful Georgia Tech batted him around for 11 hits and seven runs in the Crimson's third game, and Tampa struck for 10 hits and 10 runs.

There were some pitching surprises, however, as junior Jim Harrell won his two starts against Clark and Tampa. Harrell pitched 14 total innings and allowed only two runs and 13 hits. Eleven of those hits came in the first game of the double header with Tampa. Harrell's performance against Clark was a two-hit shutout in five innings, with five strikeouts and no walks.

"He looks like he's going to be a big winner," Park said.

The other surprise is sophomore southpaw Bob Larson, who isn't even listed on Harvard's pre-season roster. Larson picked up the pieces after Driscoll in the second Tampa game, hurling one-hit, shutout ball for four and two thirds innings. Larson also pitched three innings against Morris-Brown College on April 2, allowing three hits and three runs--of which only one was earned. Park feels Larson will be a big help in the bullpen this season.

Larson had relieved Keith Butler in the Morris-Brown contest after Butler pitched six innings, giving up nine hits and three earned runs. Harvard's offense pounded out 19 hits and picked up 23 runs in that laugher.

Tom Pura threw nine innings against Embry Riddle and allowed just four hits and two runs, and Mark Linehan pitched shutout ball against the Expos farm club stars to round out the southern pitching line up.

So much for the 43 runs given up. As far as the 89 scored goes, third baseman Jimmy Stoeckel, first baseman Leigh Hogan, outfielder Leon Goetz and new designated hitter Joe Mackey all wielded the hot bats in Dixie. Mackey, who is the reserve first baseman, will be Harvard's first DH, as the colleges go the way of the American League this season.

Mackey was injured on the trip as he barrelled into an opposing catcher and ended up writhing on the ground in convulsions of pain. He was taken to the hospital immediately, but managed to return to the line-up the next day.

The new designated hitter also had the distinction of scoring a run against Clark without the aid of a hit, after striking out. Mackey's third strike was dropped by the hapless Clark catcher, who then threw wild to first, giving Mackey the base. Mackey then advanced to second on a wild pitch, scampered to third on another wild toss and finally came home on yet another errant throw from the pitching mound.

Park feels that with the new DH ruling, "We are going to see a lot of high-scoring ball games. There are no softies in the line up anymore."

Today's Line-Up

Harvard's line-up for today's contest will have shortstop Ed Durso leading off, followed by LaCivita or outfielder Jimmy Thomas, Hogan, Stoeckel in the cleanup spot, St. Pierre if he's healthy, Geotz, Mackey, Thomas or LaCivita and catcher Dan Williams batting ninth. If St. Pierre does not play, then junior Scott Adzick will probably fill in at right field.

The outfield was one of Park's pre-season worries, as he had to fill the shoes of Kevin Hampe and Hal Smith who were lost to graduation. But when St. Pierre returns to the line-up, Park feels that with Geotz and Thomas he has a solid outfield.

The infield, which Park feels is the strongest unit in the club, didn't get as good a work out on the southern trip as was hoped since bad weather kept the fields in poor shape. Park, however, thinks that the defense will improve and is not concerned.

Park took nine rookies on the southern swing, among them sophomores Goetz, Pura and Linehan as well as Fran Cronin, who was the victim of a wild pitching machine which threw one in his eye. He has since recovered from the blow.

"The rookies are going to help us," Park said, "but it may take some time."

Several rookies will be getting a trial by fire today, as Harvard comes up against powerful Boston College. The Eagles will throw ace Bill Ruane at the Crimson, while Park has both O'Malley and Holt ready for the opener and will decide tomorrow who he will start after going over the scouting reports.

Park will have to clear up the squad's remaining question marks soon, because from now on Harvard is playing for keeps.