Radcliffe, Harvard Crews Show Championship Style In Capturing Seven of Nine Eastern Sprints Titles

By Ellen A. Cooper

An epidemic of typhoid fever will probably hit Harvard soon. No less than 30 people took a dunk in either Lake Quinsigamond or Lake Beseck this weekend to celebrate the incredible Harvard and Radcliffe victories in the Eastern Sprints.

Harvard dominated the EARC sprints, held Saturday on Lake Quinsigamond. They raced to five victories in six races, and won the overall team trophy as well.

Radcliffe also established itself as the premiere crew in the East by winning two of three races in the Women's EARC springs yesterday at Lake Beseck in Connecticut.

Regain Titles

In the varsity heavyweight division, Harvard regained the Sprints title it lost three years ago. The heavies rowed an exceptionally quick and error-free race, easily commanding the race from the 500-meter mark on.

The lightweight varsity also recaptured the championship, which Princeton won last year. Like the heavyweights, the lights rowed an extraordinarily smooth and intelligent race.

The dark-horse Penn crew pushed Harvard for the last 500 meters, but the outcome was never in doubt.

Rowing yesterday on Lake Beseck near Connecticut College, the Radcliffe crew proved that last year's Women's EARC championship was no frake. Dominating the race from the stake boats to the finish line, it won the heavyweight Sprints title for the second consecutive year.

The varsity fours also won their race to give Radcliffe a sweep of the varsity heavyweight division.

The Harvard JV's established themselves as the best second crews in the East Saturday, as both the heavyweight and lightweight crews won their races.

In the freshmen races, Harvard won the lightweight division, but lost the heavyweight race to Cornell by .8 seconds.

If there isn't a typhoid epidemic among coxswains and coaches, last weekend will mark an almost complete victory for the Harvard and Radcliffe crews.

See pages 6 and 7 for complete accounts of the races.