Red Sox Drop Another to Angels, 4-2

It's getting to be a habit, and the Red Sox are having a hard time breaking it. That habit is losing, and the Bosox did it again yesterday for the third time in a row, and the eighth in the last nine games. Bill Stoneman and Rudy May combined to give the California Angels a 4-2 victory over the Sox in Fenway Park.

Stoneman, a righthander, picked up his first win since he was sold by the Montreal Expos of the National League, allowing only six hits. He left in the ninth after Carlton Fisk opened the inning with his first home run of the season and Cecil Cooper followed with a single.

Lee Takes Lumps

But the rally failed as May stepped in to get the last three outs of the inning. Bill Lee was the loser for the Sox as he gave up two earned runs in the third and unearned runs in the fourth and ninth.

Singles by Ellie Rodriguez, Denny Doyle and Mickey Rivers and a double play grounder staked Stoneman to a 2-0 lead in the third. The Red Sox fought back with a run in the fourth after a pair of walks and a two-out single by Dwight Evans.

The Angels added another run in the fourth after an error, a single by Tom McCraw and a sacrifice fly by Rodriguez.

The Sox have today off to recuperate before the Texas Rangers come to town for three games over the weekend.