Lipset Will Spurn Stanford, Stay Here

By Philip Weiss

Seymour Martin Lipset, professor of Government and Social Relations, said yesterday that he will remain at Harvard, thus rejecting a job offer from Stanford University.

Lipset said last month that he was considering an offer of a joint appointment in social relations and political science at Stanford and as a research associate of the Hoover Institution.

At that time, sources said Lipset had agreed to become a research associate at the Hoover Institution on War, Revolution, and Peace.

Stanford Doesn't Know

Lipset said yesterday he had spent two weeks overseas while considering Stanford's offer.

He refused to comment further because he said he had not yet informed Stanford.

Harvey C. Mansfield Jr., chairman of the Government Department, said yesterday that he is pleased Lipset decided to stay.

Nathan Glazer, professor of Education and Social Structure, said last night he was "glad" Lipset will remain at Harvard.

"I suppose he weighed one thing and then the other and decided he wasn't old enough to have to enjoy the sun so much," said Glazer, who was a schoolmate of Lipset's in the early 40s at the City College of New York.

Harvard's Not Bad

Lipset said in late April that he and his wife liked the West Coast. "Harvard has its intellectual merits," he said, "but we think we'd rather live in California."

Brendan A. Maher, chairman of the Psychology and Social Relations Department, said last night he was pleased Lipset would remain here.

Once a professor of Sociology at the University of California at Berkeley, Lipset came back East in 1966.

Mansfield said that Lipset has divided his time equally among the Government Department, the Psychology and Social Relations Department and the Center for International Affairs.

A student of the sociology of political movements, Lipset is co-editor of "Students and Politics" (1967) and "Revolution and Counterrevolution" (1968), among over a dozen books he has written or edited.

He teaches Government 110, "Politics and Society," a course on the social roots of political institutions.

In a quote printed in Who's Who in America, Lipset said he has sought truth, "particularly when it challenges my assumptions and values."