FILMS ON WOMEN

THE MAIL

To the Editors of The Crimson:

We at the Stanton Project want to thank Emily Wheeler for her fine article about our series of films on women in American history. Since its appearance in the August 21st edition of The Crimson, many members of the Radcliffe community have expressed their interest in and support of the project. That feedback has been very encouraging for us.

However, we have noticed that the article has led to some misunderstanding concerning our involving undergraduates in the project and we would like to clear that up. While we are very eager to share our work with undergraduates who are interested in women, history and film, we cannot at this time offer any substantive job opportunities on the project. The series is going to be a real ground-breaker--the first film series to draw extensively upon the vast pool of talented professional women, the first to seriously present portraits of great but forgotten American women to a mass audience. It is a pioneering effort and an important mission, and demands the highest level of professional expertise and experience from our historians, writers and film-makers. This is especially true at this stage of our work.

We will all be experiencing a great deal as we put the series together, and we want to share our ideas and thoughts. We would be happy to meet with people interested in our work in their dormitories or wherever. In addition, starting September 13th, we will be holding "open house" every Friday afternoon from 2:30 to 5:00 at our office in Fay House. We hope to see and talk with many members of the community at that time. Christine M. Herbes   Assistant Producer