Crimson Swimmers Slaughter Brown, But Lose on Friday

The Crimson swimmers swamped a weak Brown team, 80-33, at Providence Saturday, taking nine first in the process.

Harvard registered victories in both the one and three meter diving events. Freshman Mike Total placed first in the one meter and third in the three meter while teammate Rodger Johannigman equaled Toal's performance, finishing third in the one meter and first in the three meter.

Both Harvard relays, the 400 medley, composed of John Seelen, Brent Haywood, Miles Standish and Brian McCarron, and the 400 freestyle, consisting of Dan Taylor, George Keim, Steve Baird and Francisco Canales won their event easily.

Individual winners were Duncan Pyle in the 200 freestyle, Kevin O'Connell in the 200 individual medley, Mark Depman in the 100 freestyle, Miles Standish in the 200 backstroke and Ted Fullerton in the 200 breaststroke.

On Friday night the Crimson swimmers IAB in an exhibition match, losing 55-40.

Strong performances in the meet came from Canales, who won the 1000 yd. freestyle with a time of 9:52.872, and was touched out for first in the 500 yd. freestyle. Pyle grabbed two firsts, in the 200 individual medley and the 200 yd. backstroke. Harvard also won the 400 yd. medley relay, consisting of Tom Wolfe, Fullerton, Keim and Baird. Keim took another first in the 50 yd. freestyle with a time of 22.136.