Cagers Face Eagles in Beanpot Final

Boston College Favored

By Michael K. Savit

Having shed a five-game winless streak on Tuesday night, the Crimson cagers will seek to bring home all the beans when they oppose a favored Boston College squad in the finals of the Beanpot Classic tonight at B.U.

While Bill Carey was leading Harvard to victory over Northeastern, the Eagles were taking care of Boston University on their home court. Thanks to a 28-point performance by Bob Carrington, B.C. escaped with an 86-78 triumph.

As Harvard well knows, having previously lost to the Eagles this winter, Boston College has more than just the versatile Carrington, their floor leader and most dangerous scorer, to rely on.

Crashing Eagles

In the persons of Bill Collins, Wil Morrison, and Paul Berwanger, the Eagles have three giants crashing the boards. As each stands 6'9" or thereabouts, the Crimson frontline should be in for some rough going.

As a result of B.C.'s height advantage, Crimson mentor Tom Sanders may be forced to employ yet another starting line-up. "B.C. is a big team, which presents us with a different line-up situation," Sanders said yesterday. "I'm not sure what we'll do yet."

This game could see the return to Harvard's line-up of sophomore center Brian Banks, who has been recovering from an injury incurred in the first B.C.- Harvard encounter.

"Banks is obviously a key for us," Sanders said, "although I'm not sure that his timing is completely back yet."

Another inspired performance by Carey, however, could partially offset the loss of Banks, should the latter once again be confined to bench duty.

"He's always had potential," Sanders said of the junior who registered a career high of 18 points in Tuesday's win over the Huskies. "It's just a question of his playing up to capabilities."

The entire team, for that matter, played up to its capabilities on Tuesday night. The second-half explosion was a result of what Sanders termed "a realization that they should beat Northeastern." Or, as Carey said, "We just decided to play basketball." Tonight's contest should be no less interesting.